Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Lost Princess of Oz- Modern Fantasy

The Lost of Princess Oz by L. Frank Baum got me deeper into the Wizard of Oz. The Wizard of Oz has ALWAYS been my favorite, and this story made me feel like I knew some secrets of Oz. In this book, Dorothy is known as the Princess of Oz. When she awakes one morning to go see her friends of Oz, she realizes a lot of things are different, and wrong. Ozma is not in her bed to start off. Then we get a glimpse of Glinda’s real world. The reader finds out Glinda lives in a palace in Quadaling Country. When she awakes in her Country, she realizes her magic books are all gone! Her and Dorothy both contact the Wizard, and they put a search out for the missing Ozma and the missing magic. There was also a theft in Winkie Country. Dorothy and the Wizard must solve this crime.
This book is full of fun fantasy. They must jump over mary go rounds, use giants as their slaves, and they also meet up with Scarecrow and Tinman! I feel like I know deep secrets and things of Oz that I have always wanted to know! I found it interesting too, that when I was looking for fantasy, there were many different play offs of the Wizard of Oz. It is such a great story, and such a great story to build off of. I would recommend this story for students to read on their own after about fourth grade, if these things interests them. I liked it, probably only because I love the Wizard of Oz. If I didn’t, I feel like I would lose interest very quickly. The illustrations aren’t full of color like Oz, which makes me disappointed, because I think Oz, and I think color! They are just detailed small illustrations of like faces and things, and just look like sketches.

No comments: