Sunday, November 30, 2008

Deep Song: The Dance Story of Martha Graham- Nonfiction Biography

The biography of Martha Graham, by Ernestine Stodelle, has touched me in many ways. I really look up to her as a dancer, performer, and creator of modern dance. This biography is the best thing I have read in a VERY long time. There is photography in the book of Martha, her family, her performances, and her works on stage throughout the whole book. It talks about the tasks and things she went through when she was younger and trying to figure out what she wanted to do in life. It takes the reader through her fathers death and other tragedies. It shows how she came from the bottom, and definitely rose to the top! I loved it!
I am not a nonfiction reader, and feel that it is VERY important that when assignming a nonfiction assignment, especially when a biography is involved, the student should be able to chose something that they are interested in. I definitely recommend this book for jr. high students, IF they are interested in the performing arts. I do not think anyone or everyone would love this book as much as I did.

No comments: