Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Battle of the Monkey and the Crab- Traditional Literature

The Battle of the Monkey and the Crab is a Japanese Fairy Tale. At first the Monkey and the Crab are friends and try to help each other plant a seed. Something goes wrong, and they end up going to war with each other! That’s right, they got all of their monkey friends together, and crab friends together, and go to war with each other. Then a big rice thing tries to make peace, and brings a bee along with it. Then the bee gets mad, and adds to the war.
My history facts are terrible. They are so terrible, that its kind of embarrassing. However, I can obviously tell that this book is representing a war. However, it was hard for me to understand, especially with all of the Japanese objects ’helping’ out too. Even in the beginning, the Crab and Monkey are trying to do things with this seed, and I really did not understand. I think if I became more educated about the Japanese culture, it would be easier for me to teach this book. It was hard for me to follow. However, I really liked getting to read a Japanese fairy tale. The pictures weren’t amazing, they were a little different. But they could be like that, because that’s what Japanese pictures look like. They were kind of detailed but not much color. Again, I would recommend to teach this book in any classroom for traditional literature, if you were a little more educated than me on Japanese culture.

No comments: