Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Are You There God? It's Me Margaret- Author Study

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume was yet another book recommended to me by my mother. And I guess she has some good taste.
When reading it again I feel like Judy Blume just kept this diary in her jr high years, and just later published. She related to this age so well. All of the problems that a young female teen goes through, or thinks about, are addressed in this book. Not only is she a sixth grader, she is a sixth grader that just moved to the suburbs, and has to go to a new school. Margaret is so happy because she finds a best friend right away, who fills her in on everything. They have some rules, though. One of them includes wearing a bra. Margaret ends up not only wanting her first bra, her first kiss, and to start and understand this whole period thing, she wants to figure out her religion. Her dad is Jewish and mother Christian. She does have normal conversations with God, however. She asks him things like if she will dance with the boy she thinks is cute at the dance.
This book will hit home with any teen girl. Maybe in your jr. high classroom, you could have different "suggested" sections, like suggested books for boys, and suggested books for girls. I don't think it can be read as a class, because boys may not totally understand! But, it should be recommended.

1 comment:

max said...

I grew up as a reluctant reader. Now I write Christian action-adventures & mysteries, especially for tween boys, that girls and boys hate to put down. My web site is at http://www.maxbooks.9k.com and my Books for Boys blog is at http://booksandboys.blogspot.com

I also have a short story in a new book called LAY UPS and LONG SHOTS, published by Darby Creek Publishing. It's a Junior Library Guild selection. I'm also featured in an article in the 2009 edition of Children's Writer Guide.

My other books are all ranked by Accelerated Reader

Max Elliot Anderson