Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dear Mr. Henshaw- Newbery Winner

Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary first entered my life when I was in fourth grade. I did not have any idea what it was about when I first read it. In fact, I just recognized the author and picked it up to get some Accelerated Reader points. However, I ended up loving the book.
The best thing about the book, is that we are basically reading this young boys journal/letters. We can see exactly how he feels, and most students enjoy reading things like that. There is also a tragedy talked about in this book, that a lot of children have to go through. Luckily for me, I have never had to experience a divorce, however, it has always been my biggest fear. Before I went to bed every night when I was younger, I would ask my parents if they were going to get a divorce, just to make sure they weren't. They never gave me a reason to believe that they would, but I never wanted to have to think about it. So seeing this young boy have to go through this trauma, really made me feel bad for him.
I feel like many, MANY students will enjoy and be able to relate to this book. I think it will give students hope and realize that they are not alone. Maybe even let them write their own letters in class someday, so they can get out their own feelings about something bothering them.

No comments: