Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Iggie's House- Author Study

Iggie's House by Judy Blume was the first Blume book I had ever read as a child. I remember not being disappointed then, and can relate to the same feeling now.
Winnie is upset because is best friend, Iggie, lived next door, and him and his family moved. When she found out the next family moving in had three children, she was so excited, and excited to greet them! She was about the only one, however. It was the first African American family to move into the neighborhood. Winnie does not understand why her neighbors are being so negative and rude about the new arrival. In fact, a woman in her neighborhood does everything in her power to make sure the African American neighbors do not feel welcome. She wants them to leave.
This story will introduce children to racism, if they haven't been already. This story is taking place shortly after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., and is an easy way to visualize a normal day in a racist neighborhood. I remember reading this when I was young, and just getting so upset at how normal people were being treated.
After re-reading all of the books I chose to do in my Author Study, I realized how much of an honest voice Judy Blume has. It is honest, straight to the point, but still very engaging. She can relate any topic and issue to the minds of an adolscnet, therefore, is easier for them to read and connect to. I recommend all of the books I mentioned for 5th grade through jr. high.

No comments: