Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Cinderella Series: Dick Whittington- Traditional Literature

Dick Whittington is apart of the Cinderella by the Fredrick Warne Company. Dick was a poor boy who moved to London to change his life. He was put with a family that was not nice to him, and made him miserable. One day, Dick found a cat. He felt sorry for the hungry little kitten, he took it upon himself to find and catch food for her. Dick ends up being able to eat with the King and Queen, and when rats come and invade the dinner, the cat saves the day!
This story was a little strange, but I really like how it was set up. There was one page with most of the beginning and set up with the story. Then followed a few pages with huge pictures on it. I was confused because the begning of the story just talked about Dick and finding the kitten. However, the pictures went on to show him catching food, the king and queen, and the cat chasing away and eating all of the rats. Then the last few pages finish the story. It was and “ohhhh” moment for me, because I understood the pictures then. I really liked that I got a kind of prediction before I read the rest of the story. And the pictures were amazing. They were kind of old styled, but very detailed. I felt like I was in that time period! This book could be in classroom when teaching about traditional literature.

No comments: