Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Green Glass Sea-2009 Rebecca Caudill Nominee

The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages was not my first choice of a Rebecca Caudill book. In fact, it was not my second, nor third. I felt as though I got stuck with it. It was thicker than a lot of them, and that turned me off right away. However, I am glad that I 'got stuck with it.'
I surprisingly really enjoyed The Green Glass Sea. Dewey is the young girl in the book, who basically has to grow up fast, and be independent. She does not remember her mother, and he father was always working around the country, due to the war. She was forced to live with her grandmother. After her grandma has a stroke, she has to go live with her father in New Mexico. She was a very smart young lady. It was hard for her to make friends because she was so smart. She ends up getting moved yet again to live with another family, and luckily gets to live with a young girl her own age. Though it seemed lucky at first. They did not get along at all. The young girl would bother her all of the time. However, they finally find something good with each other, and help each other get through the hard, and terrible time.
This historical fiction book is an easy way for older children to try and relate to what was going on during the war. It would definately fit well in a Junior High classroom, and has many lessons to be taught along with it. For example, the troubles of war, family in the war, making friends, settling differences, and helping each other are all themes of this book. There is even a sequel coming out!

No comments: